weekly check in - 5/15/08

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

momof2n2

weekly check in - 5/15/08

Post by momof2n2 » Thu May 15, 2008 8:53 am

Please don't be mad that I started it!! :o I just had something to post. :P I am not usually up on this! ;)

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!
[/size]

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:04 am

We finished up unit 25 this week and it was the first time this year we did every box, every day. [Well, except music, but we need not go there!]

We had fun doing the taste testing after smelling things like vanilla and cinnamon. Well _ I had fun. More poor, allergy-ridden son didn't have quite the full effect. But my 2 year old loved smelling the spices!

Then yesterday we all had so much fun dressing our stuffed animals in the armor of God. After we read Eph. 6, 10-20 we pulled out our black paper [no grey in the house, oops!] and got busy. Even though I am only doing the curriculum with DS#1, my middle two kids got into it, too, and we had a whole army of cats! [They each chose their same black Figaro cat to dress!]

and since I am taking the time to post pics, here I am with my boys on Mother's Day, [after we changed out of our church clothes :P] with the card my 5 year old made me. He was so proud. :P So much for homeschooling, huh? :lol:

Fall 2015
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Thu May 15, 2008 9:44 am

That's a great card. I love how our kids spell things!
The project looks like fun!

I forgot to mention last week that my hubby brought me flowers for Teacher Appreciation Week. (I love the familyman's calendar!)

This week we're on week 5 of LHFHG. Katie has been singing her Bible verses throughout the day so that's been a very pleasant surprise this week. We've been enjoying using Happy Phonics games during our school time.
Last night we had Dad join in on the fun when we made the golden calf. Dad was "Aaron" helping them make the calf and the kids loved that "Moses" (Mom) made them eat the calf!

Here is a link to our pictures:
http://www.geocities.com/nathanlacey200 ... 0866181800
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu May 15, 2008 10:45 am

Yet again, I don't have much to tell about our 'school' this week. We had a half day on Tues. because we went to a friend's house in the afternoon. Then Wed., my kids had Camp Arrowhead (a 'Y' program) all day. And today we had a field trip to Cold Stone Creamery...to tour the facility and get to make our own ice cream....alas it was cancelled once we got there! Something came up with the owner and no one else could lead the tour; not sure why. They weren't actually open for business yet, so we didn't even get to take any ice cream to go!! :cry: We did some school today, mostly independent work. We plan to really get down to business next week, though. :wink:

In other news, the kids and I have the opportunity to travel with my parents in their RV, so we're taking it. My parents took their RV from Alabama to California to see my brother and his family. DH decided to buy 1-way tickets for the kids and I to CA. We will visit with my brother and his family for a week; then we will pack into the RV with my parents and travel across the U.S. back to New York! I'm very excited about doing this....my parents were heading here from CA anyway, and now we get to see some sights with them. Yeah! We will be hitting the books hard on the travel days when we don't stop so we can still finish school 'on time'. Besides, I'm so ready to get into Bigger...I can hardly stand it! :shock: :roll:

So, I will be in and out of the boards for the rest of this week and some next week, but starting May 24 I will be incommunicado for about 3 weeks. We plan on arriving here in NY shortly before Father's Day. It actually worked out very well for travel times...DH is going to Spain for a week, and leaves the same day as us, about an hour later! So, he can drop us off, and will be home to greet us when we get back. Just wanted to let everyone know where I'll be. I will miss reading all the posts, and will have much catching up to do when I get back. I'll fill you in on all we saw when I return! :wink:

momof2n2-

I love the armor on the animals. Especially the sword ds S's cat is holding! :lol:

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Thu May 15, 2008 2:26 pm

Wow - this is our first full week with HOD. We moved over from MFW.

I will say right off the bat, that this is a lot of reading to juggle. My 6 yo is in LHFHG and my 8 yo (9 in 2 months) is in BHFHG. My 6 yo is very active, so I have to be creative to get her to focus longer and do more work. I break up the day for her quite a bit.

We are now doing school work longer than we ever have done...and we all want to get it all done each day. We now have no lagging and no whining when it's time to resume school work.

I was unsure for a bit if I made the right decision to abandon MFW for HOD. I asked my dd a few times what she thinks of the two, etc. She likes both programs. However...there is ONE thing that lets me know I did the right thing by switching.

Each morning near the end of breakfast both girls are excitedly exclaiming, "I can't wait to see what we do in school today!" And, they are eager to start. I never had them to say that....

So...in the last two days I've learned that I did do the right thing...and we're gonna have lots of longer school days and reading ahead of us!

Now...to figure out more ways to work with the 2 1/2 yo so we can get all our schoolwork done. She has her own stuff, but if I don't stay on top of her she messing everything up. Sigh....

annaz

Post by annaz » Thu May 15, 2008 3:56 pm

Finally we got some schoolwork in this week! She actually asked to do it today... :shock: We're doing BEYOND and we just finished Unit 7, Day 5....Did I say finish???? :shock: :lol:

Singapore's ordinal numbers
Unit 7 Day 6....Drawing ourselves....
Storytime...comfy?

[/img][/url]

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 15, 2008 6:33 pm

Little Hearts for His Glory:
We have LOVED reading about George Washington and all of his sticky situations he chose to tell the truth in! We are enjoying reading History Stories for Children so much, and the discussion questions at the end continue to help my ds hone his listening skills while I read. Below is a picture of my son (and big brother) following my directions to re-enact George Washington's attempt to tame his mother's wild colt. They loved at the end when I shouted "WHOA", and they got to fall down! I loved all of the things that connected so well with this history theme in LHFHG. The poem had my ds wondering all week what Washington did with a cherry tree, a colt, and surveying. The poem is like a little "pre"glimpse of the exciting stories we're going to read aloud during the week. The Bible memory verse, and Steve Green singing it on the CD, also tied in perfectly with the lessons George Washington learned about telling the truth. (Keep your tongue from evil, and your lips from speaking lies.)

Bigger Hearts for His Glory:
I am getting a bit sad because we only have one more week left of Bigger..., and it's just been a great year! (I AM looking forward to warmer weather and summer though!). I was just up in my son's room, and I noticed he's been taping up the bookmarks he makes for Storytime in Bigger... They have a character trait at the top that we studied and a matching Bible verse. He also recopied his favorite Bible verse we learned this year and hung that too. He has all of his Bible verses that he copied in a little photo binder I bought from Walmart. We've put all of of his verses (from Beyond... earlier too) in there, and it's become a special place for him to go to when he wants to look for a certain Bible verse. He also loves to see the verses we've learned hi-lighted in his Bible. I am just so excited about the growth he's had this whole year with Bigger... - academically, he's so solid, and I'm very happy about that. But, more importantly, IMO, the discussions we've had in Bigger... have helped his faith in our Lord grow and grow and grow! I'm so happy with the results of this year using Bigger..., and I just can't wait to do Preparing... next year!

P.S. Tabitha - I'm so glad you posted here, and it sounds like you've found some things to love about HOD already too! HOD is known for it's short school days, so I just wanted to encourage you that it will go faster the more you get into a rhythm. I've done LHFHG twice now, and it takes about 90 min. or less to do once you're clicking along. Beyond takes about 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours to do, so if you can avoid getting off on bunny trails of discussions (which I do now and then!), you're done by lunch. Just looking at how my schedule has changed from the beginning of the year to now shows how much growth we've had this year (me included, in the management of our time part of it, at least!). I know that'll happen for you too! So glad you are here, and thanks for sharing!!! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Thu May 15, 2008 7:45 pm

Momof2n2, THANK YOU! Anyone can start these threads! This week was a catch up week for us. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I already posted our most stellar day. We loved learning about "Dikes" and "Windmills".

I LOVED all your pictures! I need to come back later and read through :wink:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Thu May 15, 2008 10:09 pm

I am trying to stay on track better but still a work in progress. I just finished Unit 11 in Little Hands and Unit 3 in Bigger. I am posting pictures on my blog and it's labled HOD. I am hoping to post weekly pictures of our days so others can see some of the stuff we do.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Fri May 16, 2008 7:24 am

We had a great week in Little Hearts. Here is a link to my blog with our week in review. :D

Gina

http://beandipblog.blogspot.com/2008/05 ... ew_16.html
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Fri May 16, 2008 8:10 am

School was a little different this week with 3 days off and Kindergarten graduation!
It was a good idea to have graduation. I invited all my friends, none of them home-school and have very different opinions, but this was a way to share with them what we do and why and assures them that we ARE normal people!
Take a look http://escuelitaaparicio.blogspot.com/2 ... ation.html
Dorla

granolamom6

Post by granolamom6 » Fri May 16, 2008 10:35 am

Hi,
I know it has been awhile since I have posted about our weeks. Today I had a minute, so I thought I would jump in and fill you in on what we are doing around here :)

We had been motoring along doing three programs... Little Hands to Heaven, Beyond Little Hearts and Bigger Little Hearts. I was getting worn out. It was possible to make that happen, but it was wearing on me. I felt torn and unable to give my kids the time they each needed from me.

So, after some wise advise from MamaMary and some time with the Lord, I moved my 7 yo dd up to Bigger with my oldest two dc. I now do Little Hands with my 4 yo dd and Bigger with my other three. They each do their own levels in Spelling, Math and English, but for all the rest we are working together.

After three days of this new change, I am very happy. :D I think the best part of this change is that I am able to do the Bible/Memory Verse/Hymn portion with all my kids and we start our day with this. Also, I have always enjoyed reading aloud to my kids and I especially like it when I can read aloud to all of them as part of their schooling. I like that now as they are getting older we can discuss what we are reading and they can add to each other's observations.

I look forward to sharing more of our adventures in the weeks to come.
Christa, wife to Sonnie since '93

ds- 13
dd - 10
dd - 7
dd - 4 — LHTH
And another blessing due in March '09.

Visit my blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/granolamom6/

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Fri May 16, 2008 7:42 pm

We had another busy week here. Lots of appointments for the boys. I think, think things will slow down now.

We did get a couple of days of school done. Bryce really enjoyed reading Snowshoe Thompson. He also like copying a poem and getting to illustrate it. It has been beautiful here so we have spent lots of time outside and he is still trying to catch rabbits for rabbit meat, beacause we don't have any bears and he wants to be like Davy Crocket and make sure they don't eat the plants starting to come up in our garden. He is such a silly boy. I pray he never catches one because I wouldn't know what to do.

I love reading these weekly updates. It is so wonderful to see so many having so much fun with school in the middle of May.

Julie - I love that memory verse book your son has. That is something he will treasure for years to come.

Dolra - Your son is very handsome. Tell the graduate Congradulations!
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri May 16, 2008 9:39 pm

We're on break here...but I just love reading about all that the rest of you are still doing! You've given me so many great ideas! :idea: (Now if I can only remember them...at least I can come back and reread these check-ins. :D )

momof2&2 - I love the pictures of your cute kids - and you! You're all adorable and look like you had a great time arming the cats and celebrating Mother's Day!

Julie - The energy brimming out of your boys just comes right out of my computer screen! :D Never a dull moment at your house, right? :wink: I love the idea of the storytime bookmarks with character qualities on them, and the verse album. My son would love doing both of those...and we'll get to use them soon!

Ann - I love your daughter's picture of herself! She did a great job!

Keep up the good work!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Sat May 17, 2008 9:43 am

Dorla -
graduation sounds so wonderful. I love it! I should do something to commemorate the ends of our years. We just sort of morph into the next stages here, with no real beginning or end. I bet it would feel great for the kids!

Mom2boys
SO funny about the rabbits! :P

Fall 2015
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond