4-25-08 Weekly Check In!

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

MamaMary

4-25-08 Weekly Check In!

Post by MamaMary » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:55 am

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!

MamaMary

Mary's Weekly Check In!

Post by MamaMary » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:04 pm

BEYOND Little Hands

Aaaahhhhhhh...., It felt so GOOD starting our school back up! I LOVE HOD! We memorized,

Galations 6:9:

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest if you do not give up"!

I love that HOD is so easy to implement that we still got in, even though I had doctors appointments, started doing a water aerobic class and attended my weekly bible study on Wednesday afternoon. My school time is my cherished time with my children. I know the learning we do today will be the memories we have forever!

I did start something new this year that has helped immensely. I now turn off my ringer and check it every break. Though sometimes I could hear the machine and ignore it, most of the time it distracted me. We went to the library this week and I purposely did not take my cell phone. How FREEING! :D

In history we studied all about living in Jameston. My kids learned how much harder it was back in the beginning, not having a grocery store to run to when you needed something. We read about all that it took to make soap, and how you couldn't let your fire go out because there were no matches. It really is pretty amazing when you think about it.

In science we talked about Reptiles and Mammals. I love the CLP book Carrie uses. The real life photographs really capture my boys attention.

To see our week in Pictures:

Please visit my blog:

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/522259/
Last edited by MamaMary on Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:37 pm

We have had a good week. Bryce is really enjoying deciding the order to do school in. Over the last two weeks we have covered The start of a Nation and are now in the middle of America Grows and Changes unit 27 and 28 in Little Hearts. Bryce did a great telling his dad the story of Alexander Hamilton. His Daddy was impressed with how much he remembered. We also started the Emergent Readers schedule. Wow did that get him excited. He is very excited that he gets to read the Bible. I love the fact that he is hidding God's word in his heart and think that it is a privledge to be able to read the bible. This week in science we learned about the Sun and the Moon - I should have looked ahead for that one. It was sunny and 75(wed) when we studied the moon and Rainy and 58(thurs) when we studied the sun oops. We have so much fun with school that my 3 year old want to join in, I have little Hands but don't want to start him on that yet or we will finish before he is ready for Little Hearts good thing he likes work sheets like his brother.
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

7mommy

Post by 7mommy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:23 pm

We have had so much fun this week!!
Thank you so much!!
If you want to see what we did this week in LHTH, go find my old blog and you can see the pics. I am going to try to make it more "homeschool oriented" since dh and I started a different one together for family. So I think I'll post my HOD updates in there.

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/7mommy/522326/
Becca -- mommy to 6
Isaac (5) -- LHTH

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:58 pm

Karen- You guys are almost through. I love hearing about what you study each week. It sounds like Bryce will be a wonderful leader one day. You are teaching him how to make his own decisions early by letting "him" pick the order in which you do school. What a great Mama you are :D

7mommy- I LOVED your blog! Thank YOU for sharing. Those cocoa puffed letters were adorable!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:03 pm

We had a busy week this week. We finished Stories of the Pilgrims! My dd likes us to read on and on, so we finished a bit early. We really enjoyed the story about Remember, in Boys and Girls of Colonial Days. We're reading Ginger Pye as our mystery, and Hailey loves it. I wasn't sure how she'd feel about the 'shucks' and 'you bet', etc. but it has not even ben mentioned by her. :o We're looking forward to learning who the 'footstepper' is! She continues to make A's on her spelling test each week...we're ahead in that too, because I am only testing her on the words she does not already know. The poetry is a big hit, and Hailey now just gets out the manual, finds the poem, and begins her copywork. She just checks with me to find out how many lines to copy. She prides herself in doing it very neatly, and looks forward to illustrating it when she finishes it. We had fun with the sand (we used salt) pattern this week, too. I never had thought of using food coloring in salt. It turned out to be a beautiful shade of blue! We talked about how the earth is moving, not the sun, so the sun is not really 'going down' just to the other 'side' of the earth...talked about how the earth doesn't really have sides, too. :wink: Hailey usually has her memory verse memorized by the second day...it's a huge confidence-builder for her. Not only can she read this all on her own; she can remember it easily too! We had a fantastic week. I hope we can slow down enough next week to take some pictures to post on Thursday. Looking forward to another week of Beyond...!

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:01 pm

Don't you just love teaching when the material is interesting to you? Oh my, I loved history in unit 21 The Age of Exploration in LHFHG.
Here is our link http://escuelitaaparicio.blogspot.com/2 ... ation.html
Dorla

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:08 pm

Ladies,

I loved reading all of your weekly shares! It made me miss all of you and miss my kiddos too! I'm glad to be back from the MPE convention and excited to see what all of you have been up to! You ladies have no idea how many moms are inspired by what you share here! You are a blessing to many! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:42 am

We've missed you too, Carrie! I always notice when you haven't been on the boards, and I think, "she must be at a convention!" I hope sales went well, and I know you're glad to be back home to relax. :? :wink: