OK, I've been thinking....

This folder contains helpful past threads about Bigger Hearts for His Glory. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
granolamom6

OK, I've been thinking....

Post by granolamom6 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:10 am

I am really enjoying using LHTH with my dd (3) and LHFHG with my dd (6). I also have a 10 year old dd and a 12 year old ds. They are currently doing a mishmosh of stuff that I put together for them.

I was planning to use Preparing for my older two when it comes out. But...

I was thinking yesterday... I am wondering if I could use Bigger with the Extension pack for both of them, NOW and then they can use Preparing when they are through that? (Using the appropriate math and LA levels, of course.)

They are used to working pretty independently, so I was thinking they could do most of it on their own, right? Also, we have never really covered American History and Bigger covers that.

Any thoughts? Am I just being impatient?
Christa, wife to Sonnie since '93

ds- 13
dd - 10
dd - 7
dd - 4 — LHTH
And another blessing due in March '09.

Visit my blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/granolamom6/

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:04 am

I will be using Bigger with my 10 and 8 year olds. I am planning to use the extension pack with my 10 year old, and of course his Math and English are on different levels. But, I wanted to try this so I could do just 2 programs (I'll have a new K also) instead of 3. I know there are several moms on the boards that are using HOD with several different ages. Maybe they'll pitch in with their opinions. After receiving the Bigger manual and looking through it and the LA and Math selections, I believe it will be enough for us. Even if my son moves through the LA or Math more qucickly, I'll still know he got the basics, and we can just move on to the next level in that if needed. Hope that helps some! :D

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:46 am

Well let's just say as impatient as I am. :D And can I tell you how happy I was to be so impatient. You have one a little older than I do. We are not real far into preparing and my oldest is finishing up 5th at 10 will be 11 yrs old in the summer. Honestly if you use the program as intended it is pretty quick. I am actually reading the extension package to them because I have an older child who is reading delayed and I want her to get the information. But You could certainly maybe even have them read the actual program material to each other as far as history and possibly science then kind of narrate to you. The History and notebooking projects can be pretty independent and honestly with the 12 year old leading the way I think some of the science you could have them do. But you might not want to miss it yourself because it is all pretty daw gone fun!

Carrie is the only one who can know how that will go down the path, but if I had a 10 year old and a 12 year old that were pretty weak in American Hist I would definitely throw them in Bigger before preparing because I would not want them to be lacking in that knowledge. That actually is exactly the reason I am doing it with my older kids. 8) I am so glad we are doing it. We have other moms doing it with kids in your age range on the board I believe that can tell you more about how that is working for the 12 year old. But if I were in your shoes I would go that way. It's going to be a long time before they get that in depth learning of American History if you are planing to stick with HOD.

Also you mentioned you are doing LHFHG too. Another thing I have been doing is looking at the books in the appendix that fall into the same time as we are studying with Bigger (that is toward the middle about week 20). Then I check them out at the library and have my older kids read them and tell me which ones are the best. I know Carrie has looked through them so they are good and not going to present a problem in terms of conflicting with our beliefs. So it does two things, it just easily and quickly gets even more information in their heads and cements what they are learning in Bigger but then they also tell me if they think I should check it out again later for my littlest two. :lol: See we are doing LHFHG over two years using the appendix to add more read alouds because my two little ones are slave drivers for the mommy reading machine. Any way that is a another list of books you can check out from the library if they want to explore a topic in depth or if you want to give the older one even more reading that will not be difficult yet gives great information. I've just been selectively checking out the ones of authors I know are really good type thing. My kids are reading them up kind of after school or on weekends. They love it and ask for more. 8)

Anyway I hope something in my pre-coffee ramble is helpful. :lol:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

granolamom6

Post by granolamom6 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:55 am

Thank you, both, for your very helpful replies!

I am actually going to borrow Mary's Bigger package this weekend so that I can look it over. :lol:

I am very seriously considering using Bigger ASAP! Now, I just need to convince my husband this is a good idea! :wink:

ds- 13
dd - 10
dd - 7
dd - 4 — LHTH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:27 pm

Oh Christa, how wonderful that you can borrow the "Bigger..." package from Mary and look through it! That is THE BEST WAY to decide whether "Bigger..." would work for your kiddos or not. And looking over it in the comfort of your own home is so much better than looking at something at convention (when you feel rushed, pressured, and its tougher to make a clear decision). HOORAY for you! :D

Whether "Bigger..." would work for your olders really depends on how much American history and what type of science they've had. For a Charlotte-Mason living book type family, I think "Bigger... " would be enough (after adding in age-appropriate language arts and math). For a textbook-type or very Classical educator, "Bigger...." would feel light compared to what they're used to. That doesn't mean not adequate just a different feel. :o It also depends on whether your kiddos still love all the hands on artsy, projecty, stuff or whether they feel that is "babyish". Kiddos are all wired so differently. :shock:

Let us know what you think after you've had a look. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

granolamom6

Post by granolamom6 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:55 pm

Carrie wrote:For a Charlotte-Mason living book type family, I think "Bigger... " would be enough (after adding in age-appropriate language arts and math).
Carrie,
Thank you so much for your reply. We have been a relaxed, CM, type of family for awhile. So, your comment above put a big smile on my face.

For so long I have been putting things together on my own. I am so ready to have that done for me. :wink: Also, we have NOT had a whole lot of American History studies in our schooling, so I am thinking Bigger will be a good fit for my older kids. And, my dd, Sophie, will really enjoy the hands on activities. I'm hoping that Sam will, too, if he sees his sister doing them. If not, I will maybe have to modify a little.

I'm looking forward to delving through Mary's Bigger stuff this weekend and see what the Lord shows me.

Thank you again!

ds- 13
dd - 10
dd - 7
dd - 4 — LHTH