so, after all that trouble to get Reddy Fox

This folder contains helpful past threads about Little Hearts for His Glory. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
hippiechyck

so, after all that trouble to get Reddy Fox

Post by hippiechyck » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:00 pm

my son HATES it :shock:

i think we'll just read "The Boxcar Children"....he just won't listen to this book :roll:
~*~Barbara~*~
using LH and BLH with the boys, ages 8.5 and 5

Blither Blather~~~Headmistress's Office

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:06 pm

I'm so sorry. :( My kids love that book, but it did take a chapter or two for us to get used to Burgess "style". He does take some getting used to!

We LOVE the Boxcar children...the first one is the best. The others are ok too, but the first one was our favorite.

There are so many great read-alouds....you can't read them all and not everyone has the same taste, so read what you and your dc like! :wink:
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:50 pm

That's a bummer! :( Like Melanie said it took awhile for my 5 y/o dd to get into the Burgess books. Now she loves them. Maybe you could try them again in awhile.

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:26 pm

Barbara,

I would agree that Thornton Burgess can be an acquired taste. It is definitely a jump in listening level from regular picture books. At first little ones often don't "get" what the animals are doing and can even be worried about the scrapes that the animals get in and out of. But, over time they grow to love the characters and see the lessons the animals are learning.

Usually once I have told each of my sons that none of the animals are ever killed or actually harmed in Thornton Burgess' stories, my sons have each been relieved and more than willing to keep on listening.

The Burgess' books are in that vein of classic literature from a by-gone time that takes some work to appreciate, but then becomes an endearing favorite in the long run. You may notice there's also another thread running on our board right now about moms that are looking to add even more Burgess titles since their kiddos are loving them so much! :)

I would suggest giving it at least a couple of weeks or a month before making a judgement. You, of course, may do whatever you feel is best for your kiddo, but I just wanted to encourage you that many moms do go on to love the Burgess books after the initial start. It's so hard to judge a book on the opening chapters. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:36 pm

My kids absolutely love these books. They beg me not to stop. I think it would be worth trying it a little longer. But either way at least you have some character ideas to use if you can find something that address the same kinds of issues.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

hippiechyck

Post by hippiechyck » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:23 am

thanks all! i agree Burgess is "bygone" :wink: our local used book store has several first editions and trhey are well over $200 :shock:

i have it till Thursday since it was an ILL and can't be renewed...we'll read a bit more
But either way at least you have some character ideas to use if you can find something that address the same kinds of issues
good idea...i'll read the notes down there and try and find something else
It is definitely a jump in listening level from regular picture books

he's really pretty good about listening...he sat through 3 of the Narnia books and a really boring George Washington book i was reading to his brother :lol: he really just does not enjoy this book :?

maybe a different story he's like...i'll try the next one and see how that goes :P
~*~Barbara~*~
using LH and BLH with the boys, ages 8.5 and 5

Blither Blather~~~Headmistress's Office