Okay, one more question please:) . . .

If you have used "Drawn Into the Heart of Reading", please share your experience with us.
Momofsix

Okay, one more question please:) . . .

Post by Momofsix » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:05 pm

I'm still having trouble figuring out how DITHOR fits into other year plans. I'm thinking of Bigger Hearts for next year. The literature books included in the packages that seem to correlate with the history, are they meant to be read alouds or readers? I'm particularly wondering about the extension packs. If they are meant to be lit selections for the child to read, how would I incorporate DITHOR? And for those using DITHOR w/other year plans, do you try to have their reading correlate with history at all?

Just wondering where it all fits together. Sorry, I come from SL and suffer from hand-holding syndrome. I'm used to readers and read alouds correlating with history.

thanks again!!
lisa

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:27 pm

Hi Lisa!

DITHOR is meant to be done with different books than the extension packs or than the other HOD curriculums.

The extension pack is meant to be read independently by your child, and I think if the books are too difficult for the children to read them independently, then they should probably not be reading them. That is my understanding, at least.

So, with that being said, if the extension pack looks like it can be read by whichever child or children you are considering it for, than it would be a wonderful addition to the BIGGER curriculum, and it provides a great way to stretch it for older children.

As far as DITHOR, it is very flexible and can be adjusted to fit your needs and schedule. For example, I do it 3 days a week, and do only half of the genres one year. Than the next year, I do it 3 days a week, and do the other half of the genres. So rather than going through Level 2/3 twice with different books doing it 5 days a week, I am just going through Level 2/3 once over the time span of 2 years. Perhaps if you are doing the extension pack reading, you could do something like that, if you are feeling like you want to go through less books. (Although as a former Sonlight user, I'm sure you covered your fair share of books and maybe would still enjoy doing that! I know the year I used Sonlight I used many books!)

As far as doing history-linked books with DITHOR, I know lots of moms who do this. They just choose the genres that match that easily, usually nonfiction, historical fiction, realistic fiction, and biography are all genres quite easily linked to history themes. I think this can be fun for a while, but it's also really neat to read books from the rest of the genres too eventually. I found I was having my poor sons read all of the genres I liked (generally the ones I just named), rather than the genres that were their favorites, like adventure, mystery, humor, and fantasy. DITHOR sure helped me balance out my bookshelf!

Whatever you decide, I know you will enjoy doing Bigger... We just finished our day with it, and the children are still "playing" (really "extending") their history activity for the day (which was marking the trail for Daniel Boone to follow when finding his daughter Jemima - my little son makes for a very convincing lost Jemima!).
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:28 pm

Momofsix,

My3sons did a great job of explaining DITHR to you. I'll just add that for "Bigger...." the Deluxe Package includes read-alouds to do that coordinate with the plans in the Storytime box, but do not coordinate with the history. This is so the kiddos get a rich foundation in listening to a variety of genres read-aloud. You can choose from the Boy Interest, Girl Interest, or Classic Sets for the Deluxe Package read-alouds. You only need one set. Or, you can choose your own. Once you get to Preparing Hearts... the read-alouds coordinate with the history.

Also, the Extension Package readers do coordinate with the history and are meant to enhance the time period being studied. They are meant to be read independently for your older kiddos. They are not scheduled to coordinate with DITHR.

You can select any books you choose for DITHR. We have a book shop link on our website where you can scroll down to select from the various genres, or you can use whatever you have at home. As my3sons mentioned, you can stretch DITHR out over 2 years doing half of the genres one year and half the next.

I hope this helps clarify a few areas for you! Let us know if you have other questions, we're glad to help! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:34 pm

Yes DITHOR is to be used with your own books or library books or you can look in Carries book store she has lots of great books! The book pack that you can buy with the package are books that are to be read aloud during the read aloud part of the school day. I have found that some of the read alouds' my daughter can read easily.
For example: we chose to read Mary Jamison for our biography read aloud and then used Phillys Wheatley as her DITHOR book. We had Mary Jamison from a Library sale but it was a wee bit hard and long for her to read as her DITHOR book.

*reaches out and Holds Lisa's Hand*
"Don't worry its not as hard as you think it could be. I know the flexibility we love so much, sometimes scares me too..."
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

Momofsix

Post by Momofsix » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:27 pm

Thank you ladies for your wonderful insights. I am really loving pouring through all the samples and material on the website. I have some time for next year to figure it out, but I think I'll be going with Bigger Hearts. I just bought DITHOR used and will be getting that in a few days. Can't wait to get started.

thanks so much!
In Him,
lisa