Using DITHOR with other core curriculum?

If you have used "Drawn Into the Heart of Reading", please share your experience with us.
jackieb

Using DITHOR with other core curriculum?

Post by jackieb » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:42 pm

Hello families,
We are new to DITHOR, and are looking into using it with our current curricula. Is this okay to use and integrate with another core, or only to use with HOD? Now that I see that HOD is expanding to the high school levels, we may be looking at it for next year with our 3 children. As far as DITHOR, we would like to use it with our ds in 4th and our dd in 7th. What would you recommend that I purchase? Thanks so much for allowing me to post on this forum; I look forward to hearing from you all and glean from your experience!

Blessings, Jackie in TN
Jackie in TN
Married for 21 years to my love, mother to DS 21, DD 16, DD 14, and DS 11.
Loving Jesus for over 20 years!

StephanieU

Re: Using DITHOR with other core curriculum?

Post by StephanieU » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Welcome to HOD! I know that some families do use DITHOR outside of HOD's guides. Some people have even used in it co-op situations. It is completely independent (although scheduled) from the other guides, so it would definitely work. As to buy, I would look at the book lists on the website. Find a list that begins with books that aren't too challenging. You want the focus more on comprehension than on the actual reading of the words. So, err on the side of easy if you need to. As for the guides, I would buy based on what book list you go with. You will need the teacher's book and the student books. As for buying the actual books to read, that is up to you. Some library systems have a lot of the books, and there are other suggestions in the guide. But, if you don't have access to a good library, buying the book packs are probably the easiest way to go.

I hope that helps! If you have other questions, post them on the main board. That is where most people check. Normally the guide specific boards are just used to archive conversations and to leave reviews, and the main board is where questions are posted.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

jackieb

Re: Using DITHOR with other core curriculum?

Post by jackieb » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:21 pm

Thank you so much for sharing with me, Stephanie! I was already looking at getting the teacher's guide and both the 4/5 and 6/7/8 student guides for DITHOR for our children, I just wanted to be sure that is what we needed to get going. I didn't realize that there were book packs available for purchase to go along with this. Pretty cool, and it would help me with having to find it all!
Jackie in TN
Married for 21 years to my love, mother to DS 21, DD 16, DD 14, and DS 11.
Loving Jesus for over 20 years!