If yo plan on doing Preparing with a 7th grader...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marsha

If yo plan on doing Preparing with a 7th grader...

Post by Marsha » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:07 pm

What will you be adding for Science and History?
Do you plan to add anything to it?

Thanks
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:49 pm

We will be doing it with a 7th grader. :D Here is a great post that has tons of info and specifically what Carrie recommends to add.
viewtopic.php?t=361&highlight=preparing
I will be adding Carries Suggestions in that post and I think we will do General Science with Apologia. I plan on adding Treasures in the Psalms by Henry M. Morris to the Bible since it will be a study of the Psalms. (disclaimer here is that I have not seen this book yet but online it looks like it would be good). We also do Spanish.

We will do whatever is in the package for Science as well because my dd enjoys it. So she will also listen to the Read alouds and I will have her do the advanced extension pack on her own I am hoping. I say that because it is really not dependent on her but my other dd that is delayed in reading. I am praying that she will be at the lower level extension pack reading level so we can do the extension part independent that year. 8) My dd who will be in 7th is actually a book worm and reads at a high level so the more the merrier for her.

But I should add that we will not be starting until December. We school year round. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Marsha

Post by Marsha » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:33 pm

Treasures in the Psalms looks great. I think I will plan to add it.
I think I will add Short Lessons in World History, Apologia General Science, Treasures in the Psalms, and I may add a worship cd that she can listen to in the mornings wjile she is doing chores.
I think that will be plenty.

Does anyone know what music will be included?

Marsha
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:05 pm

Marsha wrote: I may add a worship cd that she can listen to in the mornings while she is doing chores.
I think the music is up in the air. Hymns of a Kids Heart Carrie said may not be available so she said she was looking for something that really matched Preparing or else music will be separate and we will have choices I think.

Minor confession here. I bought the other two Hymns of a Kids Heart CBD has them on sale. It does look like they are clearing out. We are actually doing the Passion one this week, just slamming through the whole thing because it is the entire Easter story. We'll I think keep that as a tradition for a good few years on our Easter break. The other one is waiting for next year and either way we will do it either as school or part of our family Bible Study time. My kids love it. 8) I am sure we will love Carries too. So I decided if she has something that is integrated as it has been in the past, I will do that with school and add the hymns to our Bible Study.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:42 am

Hey Ladies,

I just wanted to say that your extras look great! We are still perfecting the CD choice as I really want to have the kiddos sing some of the Psalms they are memorizing, but we are still deciding which CD to use.

We have 2 more coming to listen to yet, and have searched extensively over and over. I love the idea of singing the Psalms while memorizing them, but we want the lyrics to be very close to the Biblical text (almost word for word if possible) and also be a pleasing musical style.

So, we're praying one of the ones coming will be a fit. Otherwise, I do love the idea of singing the hymns too. So, that is a good back-up.

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:20 am

Carrie wrote:Hey Ladies,

I just wanted to say that your extras look great! We are still perfecting the CD choice as I really want to have the kiddos sing some of the Psalms they are memorizing, but we are still deciding which CD to use.

We have 2 more coming to listen to yet, and have searched extensively over and over. I love the idea of singing the Psalms while memorizing them, but we want the lyrics to be very close to the Biblical text (almost word for word if possible) and also be a pleasing musical style.

So, we're praying one of the ones coming will be a fit. Otherwise, I do love the idea of singing the hymns too. So, that is a good back-up.

Blessings,
Carrie
WOW! That would be great to have them sing the Psalm they are learning! I never would have thought of that and yet that is so obviously a perfect fit. :D But I do understand trying to find one that actually matches scripture as much as possible so they are reinforcing what they are memorizing. I am really excited that we will be learning about the Palms! I think it will be so transforming for them. Ok breath deep..... :shock: We have to finish Bigger first. :lol:

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:31 pm

water2wine,

You always make me smile! 8)

Blessings,
Carrie