math choices

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kerby

math choices

Post by kerby » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:36 pm

I am considering HOD for my younger dc. I am using R+S for math and love it. It's going so well for all my dc that I really would rather not switch. Will this work w/ these programs? Will it be confusing?

Also, what is the difference between the 1A/1B Early Bird and 2A/2B Early Bird Singapore math?

K

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:52 pm

I use R&S for my older kids and just starting Singapore for my younger kids. It's no big deal to use a different math at all. In fact I sometimes use the math box even with R&S. I used the dice Game that was in there. In fact I am mean so I beefed it up and made them do multiplication and division. So what I am saying is the Math box is just sort of an idea box and sometimes I take them and sometimes I leave them. Starting to take them more and more though :lol:

The difference is the level? Is that what you mean. You can check out the Singapore levels on the publisher website and downloand samples to see what is the difference. and they have a placement test as well. http://www.singaporemath.com/
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:32 am

I my ds has done both sets of Earlybird. The basic impression I would give is that 1A is number sense (bigger, shorter, longer, more, less) 1B is learning to write numbers. 2A/2B is more Kindergarten math.

HTH
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

kayrenee

Post by kayrenee » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:39 am

My 5yo started with 2A right after turning 5 with no previous "formal" math teaching at all and has done just fine with it. But then, she seems to have taken to math concepts naturally, where she struggles a lot more with reading concepts. That said, I still think 2A is pretty easy. And as others have said, I *love* the math teaching ideas in HOD! I'm no good at coming up with ideas like that on my own. :roll:

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:54 pm

K,

If you have a math program you love and that is working well, you may as well stay with it. As long as you have the teacher time to present Rod and Staff lessons as needed and you have a kiddo that does not mind the drill (or you are willing to adjust the amount of problems required), I think Rod and Staff is a very solid math program. :D

The nice part of Heart of Dakota is that you always have a back-up plan in the guides for all areas if your other math program ever stops working.

As to Earlybird 1A/1B, we did it with one of our sons and skipped it with the other. Both boys transitioned to the math in "Little Hearts..." (2A/2B) without trouble. So, if you have the time and you want to do 1A/1B go ahead, but it's not necesary prior to starting 2A/2B. 8)

Blessings,
Carrie

kerby

Post by kerby » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:43 am

Thanks to all of you. You all more than answered my questions! I was also curious about the levels of Singapore. :)

K

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:55 am

Carrie had a good point about the drill in R&S. My kids that came from PS really need the drill in R&S. We had a lot of not getting the math and being pushed through and really even one testing low but the teacher told me she was fine and not to worry about it. Um she was wrong. :roll:

But I think my younger kids will do well in Singapore. So I may actually keep them there. they are doing different levels of the Early bird and one is almost going to move into 1A before she officially is in what I guess we are going to cal first grade. So who knows I may combine some r&S for some extra drill to Singapore instead of buying their extra drill if that is needed. But bottom line is the flexibility is there. It is nice to have it really coordinated with the math activities although I have been known to have them do the activities with R&S too just because it gets them thinking. 8)
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:18 am

Kerby,

I know that your question has been answered, but I just wanted to tell you that this is one of the "big" selling points for me. I love that I can use Carrie's suggestions for math, or LA, or copywork, or spelling, or I can use one or two or three or none. They truly are not dependent on one another.

I have used other programs that say this and yet I always felt like we were not complete users of the program, but I have not found that to be true. Also, I love that it's not an all or nothing!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/